This is extremely exciting in that it gives small businesses an opportunity to implement new technologies in their growing business without spending a lot of money. And we all know why that is, right? Yep! Server Basic is free! Now people can bring more organization to their business. The Server comes with a number of items that make setting up and maintaining a network environment a lot easier. Some of these items are:
- Network authentication (usernames, passwords, privileges, etc.)
- Web server (host your own web page locally)
- Groupware (email, calendar, etc.)
- Print server (your printing needs are transfered from the individual users to the server)
- File server (store critical data on the server that can be accessed from anywhere within the network, providing the user has the correct privileges)
- SQL database (this could take the form of a POS system or used as a simple database of client information)
I am really excited about this new server OS. I think it will be a great tool for the small business owner.
You can read more about PCLinuxOS Business Edition at their website.
Peace be with you.